Friday 31 March 2017

African Rapper No 1



Jude (M.I) Abaga, that Jesse Jagga bruva, dropped his debut album that boomshakalak alaba. One very fine M.C and lyricist, gifted with words and very creative.

I heard his “crowd mentality” and was like hmmm!!... Something fresh and different  let’s watch. And when “Safe” came out… mbok! I couldn’t  get  enough off the track, steadily on auto replay. The hip hop scene wasn’t  safe no more, all the rappers went  into hiding. And for the ladies, he told them he was a “girl teaser” and guess what? They loved him.

I told myself, self  this is how you wanted to be dropping them rhymes and flows, because no idea is original. Too bad… my loss, his gain well never mind that.

Yeah! So what if his style is a cross between lil’ wayne and kanye west. If you don’t like it go drop your own album or 16 bars. You go know say “no be beans” like my man terry tha rapman said.

He now up the ante with the street banger  “African rapper No 1”, “Numero uno”, “Ichi ban”. With the powerful hooks from flavor the “na bania” crooner. Now that’s what am talking about, creativity and skill all rolled up in one.

Me and my fellow hiphop heads have argued regularly about who is Naija’s best. Mode 9’s name  will always come up as bad and tight, yea he’s aiite. Granted, he is a bad mutha broda on the mic with all the ciphers and them. But to me M.I is more rounded with commercial success and mass appeal, he now drives around in a “bullion van”...hehehe!. The chairman as he calls himself nowadays, has elevated to CEO status of chocolate city records.


May be one day we will trade ciphers on a track, after  I have dug up my manuscripts from the archives…so real heads will “wreckonize”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Childish Gambino - This Is America (Official Video)